Thursday 16 August 2012

How to make Galaxy patterned shorts out of an old black pair of jeans!!!

Today, I pretty much devoted the majority of the day to making these galaxy shorts (I decided to make them after watching AndreasChoice's video/tutorial).  It did not take me so long because they are difficult to make, but because I am really really slow at..well everything to be honest and I like to take my time so that it is peaceful and perfect and not rushed but you guys are probs more skilled than me.
So today I'm going to teach you how to make these:


Into these:

So to start off, what you need to do is put your black jeans on and then start to mark your jeans to where you think is an appropriate length to make your shorts and then cut the shorts all the same length so that they're pretty plain and boring.  Then put the shorts back on and play around a bit to make them a bit more interesting (preferably different lengths i.e shorter at the front) ut don't go too crazy.  Top tip: Start off with them a bit too long because you can always make them shorter but you cannot add length to them.

Now once you're at this stage, go ahead and take some tweezers (or a bigger, grippy tool) to fray the end of your shorts so that they are not all boring and neat:

Keep doing that all the way round at the ends and you'll be left with a cute, frayed look:

Now onto the more arty side of things- You will need acrylic paint in blue (maybe a few different shades of blue), white and purple (or red, to make the purple).  And here is a picture of the equipment I used to make paint the shorts:
I ended up using these sponges instead btw, not the yellow
ones in the picture above

And these were the only acrylic paints I used, I just
had a huge selection in the picture above


So to start off, you want to randomly sponge on some patches of blue, but in a sort of controlled random style (if that makes sense):

And then you want to go ahead and add some purple around (not on!) the bluey parts:

Make sure to add different tones of each colour to give it more depth.  I then added a light purple on parts of the shorts to prepare it for the start dust.. stuff I was about to add:


I then went on to add some white to sort of represent the far away galaxies:


With the tip of my sponge, I then made little discs on and around the white areas I just made to sort of represent far away planets, i suppose (I don't really know the technical words):

And then using the end of my paint brush and also a cocktail sticks, i then added differently sized white dots randomly around the shorts.  Personally I think this is the most magical part of the shorts painting because it really makes the galaxy you're trying to create come alive:

So I hope you've had as much fun reading this as I did making this for you guys.  I really hope you try this out because it's so fun and creative and they look so cool!!  If you have a spair pair of black jeans or shorts and an arty sister who won't mind lending you her acrylic paints then..well it would be rude not to give this a try :P

I hope you have enjoyed and have a wonderful day:)
P.S i have really no idea what I would wear with these shorts so if you could give some suggestions in the comments below, I would really appreciate it :)















1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love the result!
    Can't wait to see how you'll wear them :)

    X

    ReplyDelete